Your life matters.
Hope is the only thing many people in the US have right now. Stress is normal when things are not going in the right direction or when you are disappointed. Hope reminds us never to give up but to focus on what we can control — the lessons from the 2020 election and things we can do to decrease our stress.
What You Can Do:
- Focus on what you can control.
- Talk to your family and friends.
- Drop superficial conversation and express your feeling honestly.
- If you can, take a few days off from work. I did.
- Ask for help if you continue to struggle.
- Stay away from negative people and things.
- Be mindful of what you are reading and watching.
- Use three things to decide if a person or thing can help you deal with stress: can your conversation partners listen to you, understand you— what you are saying or how you’re feeling, and most importantly, encourage, inspire, and empower you to hope for the best — your life matters.
- Choose not to engage with people who only put on the fire and never offer solutions or lack words to inspire, encourage, or empower you to move forward.
- Add what works for you before!
The work continues, and we all can do our part and make the world better. Never give up or do nothing.
Help yourself grow.
Bassey is a lifestyle consultant and a health/recovery coach. She has two decades of mental health and addiction recovery experience, holds NYS social work license, and is currently in private practice. She enjoys organizing and writing.